Monday, November 16, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are


The title of this blog is western family popcorn for a reason: I'm cheap. I love movies, but I hate selling appendages to go see them in the theater ($20.00 for tickets is outrageous! Don't live with the regrets of a $7.00 soda and a $3.00 pack of gum people!). If I do go to the movie theater, it's on Tuesday night at the dollar theater, but usually I just curl up with my wife on our futon with a store brand bag of popcorn.

Last week I made an exception. I strayed from my usual rule to go see "Where the Wild Things Are." I grew up loving the children's book. The simple story follows a young boy on his imaginary journey from his bedroom across the sea to a jungle. There, he is crowned a king by giant monsters. Eventually he becomes homesick and returns to his house in time for dinner. THE END

The book is beautifully illustrated and it captured my imagination. I think that's what made it so great: you could make the story far deeper by falling into the story yourself.

Sadly, watching the movie as an adult didn't have the same effect. The monsters are pretty amazing and the world Max constructs is fascinating. However, you are left feeling empty, like the movie was pointless. This isn't a coming of age story. You merely get a glimpse into the mind of child. The characters all represent different emotions in Max's life: anger, jealousy, love, kindness, fear, adventure, etc. By the end of the film you get the sense that Max has worked out his feelings about the driving events that cause him to leave, but he is still just a kid. He hasn't changed, he hasn't grown up over night. This leaves the audience kind of feeling unfulfilled.

I loved the music; I enjoyed the adventure. Honestly though, I would have been content paying a dollar at red box and then eating some Western Family Popcorn.


1 comment:

Followers